Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Default Gas boiler problem - excessive heat, soot and yellow flame

Michael Pacey wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:32:44 -0000
"Autolycus" wrote:
snip
There is something horribly, dangerously wrong with your boiler: as
others have said, it simply isn't getting enough air for the gas to
burn fully, and this could be for three reasons: too much gas flowing
(seriously faulty gas valve); a restriction of the inlet air; or a
blockage of the flue preventing combustion products escaping, so the
gas is trying to burn in an atmosphere with far too much CO2 and CO.

You really _must_ turn it off immediately, and I would also turn off
the gas completely so that even the pilot light goes out.

Post again in the morning to reassure us all that you have, and that
you've survived.

Kevin,

I'm posting now as I've already turned the boiler off!

Your post made me realise something, I covered up a vent in the
kitchen during a particularly cold spell a few weeks ago. I bet
that's what's caused this! Do you think I'm right?

it may be a contributing factor but it's impossible to diagnose from
the other end of the internet. as pointed out before, your boiler is
a conventional flue. if it was balanced flue or fanned flue you probably
wouldn't have any major problems if you simply serviced it. as it is,
you ought to call a gas engineer in 1st thing monday morning to
ensure you're not living in a death trap.