Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Default Gas boiler problem - excessive heat, soot and yellow flame

Michael Pacey wrote:
Hi,

I have a problem with my ancient Ideal Concord W gas boiler (says WCF
on the front). I'm pretty sure it is of the combi-boiler type.

It was working fine until recently I noticed the boiler itself is
giving off excessive heat - it is scalding to the touch. Then I
noticed that the wall above the boiler is quite sooty - not sure if
this is new or not, but I didn't notice it before. The flame seems to
be burning yellow, where I would expect clean blue, and it is lapping
up in front of the internal guard between the heat exchange and the
boiler cover. I think this is what is causing the heat coming off the
boiler.

Is this something I can adjust myself or will I need to call in an
engineer? The bad news is I don't have the service manual for the
boiler, it came with my flat.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

turn the boiler off.

call a gas service engineer in. there are things you could do to
test and clean the boiler yourself but as you are asking questions
in a newsgroup, it's obvious you're not a competent person and
any attempt to 'have a go' yourself could lead to more problems
like vomiting, brain damage or death.

further, if anyone gives you any advice contrary to what I've given
they are irresponsible and so would you be to follow it.

be prepared for the boiler to be condemned. if it is, buy a new
condensing boiler from B&Q and get someone in to fit it.