Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Gas boiler problem - excessive heat, soot and yellow flame

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:47:47 +0000, Michael Pacey
wrote:

Hi,

I have a problem with my ancient Ideal Concord W gas boiler (says WCF
on the front). I'm pretty sure it is of the combi-boiler type.

It was working fine until recently I noticed the boiler itself is
giving off excessive heat - it is scalding to the touch. Then I noticed
that the wall above the boiler is quite sooty - not sure if this is new
or not, but I didn't notice it before. The flame seems to be burning
yellow, where I would expect clean blue, and it is lapping up in front
of the internal guard between the heat exchange and the boiler cover.
I think this is what is causing the heat coming off the boiler.

Is this something I can adjust myself or will I need to call in an
engineer? The bad news is I don't have the service manual for the
boiler, it came with my flat.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

There is something seriously wrong with this boiler.

Yellow flames like this suggest ventilation and/or flue problems and
carbon monoxide is being produced.

These need to be checked as well as heat exchanger pathways and a
proper CO test done as well.

Until that can be done, the appliance should be switched off to
prevent you killing yourself with CO poisoning

--

..andy