Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

Default Glass door

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:39:30 -0500, dnoyeB
wrote:

Im going to make a wooden frame door with glass center.

That's a really big project that will try your woodworking (assuming you
want it to still fit the frame in your next damp winter). If you're
asking questions like "does wood move with moisture", then in all
seriousness I'd suggest you start with a simpler project and get some
experience first.

Bruce Hoadley's book "Understanding Wood" will tell you more about
moisture movement than you ever realised was possible.

I work with a stained glass worker. Whenever I build frames for her
pieces, then I always build two frames. One goes into the wall or is the
door itself. The other fits the glass closely and is rigid and
glass-shaped. I arrange the mounting of one in the other so that it can
float, and any movement in the outer frame just doesn't get transmitted
to the inner frame.