Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Hot Water pressure - or lack of it

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:21:11 +0000, alexbartman
wrote:

Hi

I have a fairly standard Gravity-fed vented system in a fairly standard
two-storey house. I have just re-done my kitchen and replaced the taps
with a funky new monobloc (ceramic valve) mixer.

As a result, the hW pressure through this tap is really low and with
the mains pressure feed for the Cold Water, the tap temparature is
either freezing cold and very powerful or boiling hot and v slow -
there's no "mixing" of hot and cold. I've tried closing the service
valve for the CW a little and this works, but it's not great at
mixing.
I was thinking of adding a HW pump in the loft from the cylinder, but
my mixer shower in the upstairs bathroom already has a pump attached to
boost the tank-fed Hot and Cold feeds. I have another shower that is a
power shower that also relies on tank-fed low pressure hot and cold
feeds.
Access in my new kitchen it very limited, has anyone any suggestions as
to how I can boost the pressure for the kitchen tap??
Overall pressure of the hot taps in the bathrooms(s) is not great - but
not as important as the kitchen for washing-up etc etc.

Thanks in advance for help and advice

Alex

Three alternatives spring to mind:

- Hot water pump as you suggest

- Under sink electric water heater run from mains.

- Change to mains hot water system (.e.g. combi boiler or heatbank.)

--

..andy