Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Harry Bloomfield

Default Condensation on double glazing

explained :
I had some double glazing fitted last year, it was fitted by a FENSA
registered company, but was the cheapest quote we found - approx £4000
for 6 leaded windows and a patio door.

We are happy with the windows etc, but in winter sometimes get
condensation on the windows. This only happens on mornings where it is
particually cold and wet out, it burns off by midday, and is worse in
rooms where people have been sleeping.

The problem would seem to be lack of or poorly thought out ventilation
and/or heating, rather than any fault in the windows.

The better sealed your home is, the more thought needs to be put into
its heating and ventilation. Radiators are normally location under
windows to keep a warm flow of air rising over the glass. If you don't
already have them...

1. Install a cooker hood which discharges the moist air from cooking
outside, rather than a simple filter type.

2. Install an adequate and preferably automatic bathroom fan.

3. Install a utility room fan and use it when ever the washer/drier is
in use.

Cavity wall insulation will also help prevent in a small way - moisture
being absorbed by the walls to be released later in the day.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)