Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

Default using tools on mobile bases

My Jet lathe and BS are on Jet mobile bases, my new-to-me ancient Delta/Rockwell scroll saw is on an
HTC base. They are solid, especially when you put the levelers down, and do a good job. Everything
else I have in the shop is mounted on homemade bases, most equipped with cheap casters picked up at
one of the borgs. They're steady, but a pain to move around. That will be changing with a few
hours of shop time.

My TS was removed from the stand and mounted on a takeoff of the Popular Woodworking "Little Shop"a
few years ago. It is VERY stable using the Woodcraft 3 inch locking swivel casters. Love those
casters. I have the TS cabinet loaded down with at least a couple hundred pounds of stuff, and I
can still roll it around with one finger. Lock 2 wheels when doing 95% of my cuts, lock all 4 when
manhandling large ply cuts.

I like these casters so much, I recently ordered an even dozen to replace the ones on my homemade
bases for my belt sander, jointer and clamp cart. Next time they're on sale, I plan to get 8 more
to replace the ones on the roll around tool box and RAS.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1989

Only drawback I've found to these casters is that I have to mail order them. The Woodcraft in
Houston rarely seems to have them in stock, especially when they are on sale. That's how my stick
floats, YMMV.

Regards,
Roy

On 17 Feb 2006 19:01:42 -0800, "marc rosen" wrote:

Hey Group,
In upgrading my shop tools I purchased mobile bases for them too. For
those of you that have or had large tools on mobile bases, where you
happy with the way they worked or did you feel they were more stabile
off the base? I know the base is locked stationary when the tool is
used.
Has anybody done away with the base and prefer a more permanent
setting?
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Marc