Posted to alt.home.repair
andre

Default Oil smell from burner

We have been getting a persistent oil smell in our apartment from
our radiator vents ever since a new steam furnace was installed
three months ago.

The oil company, who maintains the boiler, has been saying that
it is due to the cutting oil that was used to store and lubricate the
machinery, and they have been "top-flushing" the water to get rid
of it (I have had them over to do that every week or two - they must
have done it at least six times by now).

However, the flushing has made no difference so far, not even
temporarily after each flush. Initially we were told the odor would
go away in about two weeks, but it's been three months, and I am
thinking that it must be something else.

I assume they would have seen any leaks during their visits, and I
have held a CO detector over the radiator vents during venting
without anything being registered.

Any recommendations? I'm about to break my lease because of the
health concerns.

Andre