Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

Default Laptop Motherboard

Tony Hwang wrote:
spudnuty wrote:

Big Al wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

You know steve if you aren't interested in helping then don't post, its
as simple as that. Tony thanks for your interest in helping.

Get a short length of appliance power cord and cut about an inch of it off.
Then clean the coating off the traces you cut. Pull some strands of the fine
bare wires out of the 1 inch piece of cord. Use a small soldering iron and
"bridge" the cut traces with the wire. Cut off the excess. Using a decent
solder and some good soldering flux will make this a lot easier. Be sure you
have a good light and a magnifying glass to check your work. Clean the
repair with alcohol to get any remaining flux off. If you're real careful
you can clean the coating off the board and cut the excess fine wire with a
X-acto knife.

Al

Yes I have repaired things like this. Depends on how much damage you've
done, how big the gaps are, how patient you are.
My method is like the above poster. I would add: I use a silver bearing
solder (if it's really fine I "draw down" the solder), extremely fine
tip, temperature controlled iron, I also try to stagger the repairs
soldering micro traces that are adjacent to each other will send you to
the funny farm. If you can't do that you can do micro wires point to
bridge the damage at a different point on the trace. I also have an
free arm magnifier. One like the dentist uses or micro surgeons use
would be indispensable.
Richard

Hi,
We're talking about etch run traces of one fifth of a thousand inch and
up. Even nero surgeon would have trouble soldering them together. One
possibility is jumpering them from adjacent eyelet to eyelet of both sides.

There you go .;)
Richard