Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Default Minimum safe voltage for appliance motors

SQLit wrote:

"cJ" wrote in message

I recently had a brownout due to weather related power grid issues. The
voltage on my 120 volt circuits was down to about 100-105 volts.

Any feedback regarding safe voltage range (specifically minimum) for

motors

in refrigerator, freezer, sump pump and furnace blower? I do want to
protect these items while at the same time it is nice to let the furnace

run

when it is 15 degrees out!

Thanks...

IEEE says plus 10% minus 7% of nominal voltage. The very next paragraph
says except for short periods of time. Gee guess who wrote that?

It is always nice to keep the voltage in the sweet spot. But that is not
always possible. Installing low voltage relays to open on low voltage seems
excessive to me. Unless the motor is starting with a low voltage condition I
would not be concerned.

Hi,
If you hook up power monitor on your line for a period, you will be
surprised at what you see. Spikes, sags, frequency swings, etc.
This things go on all the time in real life.