Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Silly post regarding unexpected wood aromas

JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
We all know Cedar smells like Cedar. Red Oak smells like wet dogs to
some noses.

What about unexpected aromas?

Green Sycamore smells like silage. ...

Southern Magnolia smells like mineral spirits; not turpentine like
Pine. Even the little decorative Japanese Magnolia has that nice clean
spirits smell to me.

Comments? Additions?

Sassafrass smells like root beer--not a coincidence.

I resawed some green cedar of some sort, possibly the ornamental
commonly called arborvidae (sp?) . It was alread cut into firewood
sized lenghts before I got it. I've never been tear gassed but I think
I know what it would be like now!

--

FF