Gunner

Default Cllean that barrel out with murcury? was Brass drill bit (for lead)

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:35:10 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

And lo, it came about, that on Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:36:59 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking , Gunner was inspired to utter:

At a guess..Id have to say you are talking about either a US
Springfield or an P-17 Enfield. What is it?

Turkish Mauser 98. Got it for a number of "emotional" reasons: cost, it's
a mauser, I lived in Turkey, I'd driven a long ways (a lot longer than I'd
estimated) to check out a gunstore and felt like I could not go home empty
handed, and they were on sale.
The usual.

pyotr

While they are a decent and able arm, have the headspace checked with
the proper 8mm headspace gage. Ive seen a few that were mix and match,
and the headspacing was a bit long, long enough to back out the
primers. The 8mm cartridge was loaded with corrosive primers in nearly
every country, so if you are shooting milsurp ammo, be sure to scrub
out the barrel with some soapy water after every shooting.

A trick to determine if your ammo is corrosive primed. Clean a steel
plate down to bare metal, and pull the bullet and powder from a
cartridge. Hold the barrel in contact with the plate and fire the
primer. Watch the plate for a week, and if the primer was corrosive,
you will see a rust patch growing on the plate where the primer
particulates were deposited.

I shoot a lot of corrosive primed ammo, and its no big deal, but you
do have to clean the stuff out before putting it away. If you can find
some of the old white, milky looking GI bore cleaner, (very poisonous
btw), its good for swabbing the bore out after shooting. It
neutralizes the primer residue.

Here is a link you may enjoy:
http://pub113.ezboard.com/bparallaxs...firearmsforums

There is a very active Turkish Mauser forum down the page

Enjoy, they are fun to shoot.

Gunner

"Anyone who cannot cope with firearms is not fully human. At best he
is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not
make messes in the house."
With appologies to RAH..