Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Wet sanding polyurethane b/t coats w/ mineral spirits lub

"bent" wrote in message
I am about to sand the first coat w/ 220 SC.

Probably too coarse. Remember, there's a difference between leveling and
toothing, and use a semi-rigid block under the paper to level. One of the
_many_ reasons, most of which have been embedded in my sking, that I don't
use flexible stuff like steel wool.

w/r/t to final finishing, don't know who posted w/ 600 recommendations,
but I'd like to know more. For now, just specifically about this
project. I know I am going to want to do something! I've got 220, 320
400, 600, 1000, 1500, & 2000 SC papers. And 3M rubbing compound fine.

Do you need to wet sand (as opposed to dry sand) if it is after the final
coat? Would you need to do more - like wax. I've got a messy Johnsons
furniture polish wax that is the colour of buffing wax avail at Lee
Valley. must be nearly the same.

The reason(s) you sand are to level and to provide a mechanical hold for the
succeeding coat. I can't think of any reason why you'd want to sand after
the final coat, if that coat is properly applied, unless you're trying to
cut the gloss. Wax will cut the gloss a bit because of it's polymer size,
too.