Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Default What do you need to check for when buying a used DC motor with speed control

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. com...

"Alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am buying a used DC motor with speed control. It's rusted and looks
like it was heavily used. What should I check for to make sure it works
properly?

Speed control is
Speed-a-matic PN2400-8000
(1/4 to 1HP for 115VAC and 1/2 to 2 HP for 230 VAC )
Input 14.5 A max Outpt 10 A max

Motor Baldor# CD3475,
3/4 HP,
volts 90A/100/50F,
amp 7.8/.6/1.2F,
RPM 1750

Don't ever get a motor that's painted blue. Something in the blue pigment
interferes with the magnetic flux density, measured in oersteds (OE),
directly corelating to the shade of blue. Although the force due to the
magnetic field may be different in different hue values because magnetic
fields transform into electric fields under Lorentz transformations
unless the motor is alligned with magnetic north, not true north. Initial
rotation will depend on the position and phase of the moon and obviously
which hemisphere the motor will opperate in.
Keep it up, Tom and we're gonna put you on permanent troll patroll.

Bob Swinney