Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alan Rothenbush

Default Disassembling a mag chuck

On 2006-02-17, Ted Edwards wrote:
Any chance you could replace the magnet(s) with rare earth magnet(s)?
See the Lee Valley site for some shapes and sizes. These are MUCH more
resistant to demagnetization and are damn powerfull.

It's surely occurred to me !

But from other coversations I've had, this may not be so wise a solution.

If I'm really serious, the plan might be to send it away to someone who
actually knows what they're doing ! G

Here's what prompted all of this. It occurred to me that it might be nice
to use the little SG to sharpen my woodworking chisels. I've got a fair
collection, and all are dull .. at best. I'm not real proud about the dings
in some of them, said dings looking distinctly like they were used as cold
chisels and not wood chisels.

I could either build a pair of jigs to hold the chisels at the appropriate
angles OR I could use my adjustable magnetic block.

It's the same one as is shown at

http://www.travers.com

in their online catalog page 636, and is their part number 57-062-120

This unit has ..OK.. holding power when oriented so that the pole pieces
match the pole pieces of the mag chuck. However, when oriented at 90 degrees
to the chuck (which is the more convenient orientation), it has virtually no
holding power at all (not entirely unexpected, I suppose).

I think I'll just build the jigs and be done with it.

Alan

--
Alan Rothenbush | The Spartans do not ask the number of the
Academic Computing Services | enemy, only where they are.