Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

Default What is it? CII

According to R.H. :

[ ... ]

I didn't see any answers in your post, just the quote from the OP and your
sig. I'm not asking you to re-write it, but if you still have your
original reply saved somewhere, maybe you could post it or at least figure
out the problem.

I know *what* the problem is.

1) My ISP's news server connection times out when I take a while editing
an article. (My followups to this subject usually take long
enough.

2) As a result, after spell-checking I usually save a copy to the
file /tmp/safety before attempting to send.

3) Then (after I get the error message) again say that I want to
followup to the same article, and edit away everything which
is there and and read in /tmp/safety before sending it out.

Apparently, this time I was distracted and forgot to delete the
original information and read in /tmp/safety.

Here is the original, minus the headers:

According to R.H. :
A new set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again:

587) The fancier control transformer from a Lionel electric train
setup.

Two basic variable transformer sections for controlling two
different trains on two track sections (which may or may not
interlink).

The two black buttons which say "reverse" interrupt the power
momentarily to step a reversing switch in the engines.

The red handle I'm not positive about, since I never had this
model, but I suspect that it is for controlling track switches
to divert the trains from one track section to another.

I do remember that there was a red button to engage a decoupler
to allow the train to leave some of the cars behind at selected
points.

The one which I had was only for a single train.

588) That circular blade seems rather sharp, so I suspect that this
is intended to split something in ribbon or tape form which has
been laid on top of a guide stick which fits the grooves.

589) Perhaps a weight to control wind whip of long-wire antennas?
Or a non-conductive plumb bob (given the sharp point at the
bottom?

590) A coin dispenser, such as the conductor on busses or trolleys
once would wear.

591) Hmmm ... this looks as though it is intended to sample water (or
some other liquid) from a given level in a tank or a well
casing.

As I see it, you lower it into the liquid with a second line
holding the stopper raised to allow liquid to flow through it
until it gets to the desired depth, then you release the second
line, allowing the stopper to close, and draw the entire device
back to the surface.

It looks like a rather kludgy variation on a Nissen bottle, (I
hope that I got the spelling right) used by oceanographers to
take samples at various depths.

592) Some form of blacksmith's tool. The square shank fits into the
"Hardy" (square) hole in the anvil. There is another hole
(Prichard, IIRC) which is round, and is used for other purposes.

It looks as though this is for forming rings of fairly small
thickness material.

Now to see what others have said.

However -- I would like to propose a change in the item
numbering scheme. You never have as many as ten, so what I would
suggest is a number encoding the puzzle page number (102 in this case),
followed by a hyphen and a single digit. So this last one above would
become: "102-6" instead of "592".

This might make it more obvious to those who post answers to the
previous week's puzzles that there is something different here. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564