Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default When to replace a car battery

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:
I have a 1997 car, that I bought used. II owned the car for 5 years. I don't know how long the 2nd
car battery (sears) is in place. I recently went on a trip, and my batter died while car was sitting
in garage for 3 weeks. I charged battery, and it died again, 2 months later. However, I really don't
use car that much. Maybe 30-60 minutes of driving per week.

How do I know, that the battery is good or bad, since when charged, it lasted about 2 months of very
light driving.

I have a trickle charger, but am wondering if the battery is bad, and is time to be replaced. I do
not know how old this battery is.

If the car battery is bad, rather than keep a trickle charger on the battery, I was hoping that
driving 30-60 minutes a week, is long enough to keep the battery charged.

Can you please provide some input.

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net

A battery that won't hold a charge for 3 weeks is
bad. Unless, there is something in the vehicle
that is draining the battery. Installed a radio
once that clock and keeper circuit would drain a
battery in 3-4 weeks.

30-60 minutes a week of driving should keep a good
battery up. If it doesn't keep your battery up,
then replace the battery. Better yet, get a
Harbor Freight $4 Volt-ohm meter and use it to
check the battery. Should read 12.65V 24 hours
after charging or driving the vehicle. If it
drops to around 12.40V after 24 hours of charging
or not driving, it is probably sulfated and just
won't hold a full charge and you need to buy a new
battery.
Quit futzing around and spend $55 for a new battery.