Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark and Kim Smith

Default When to replace a car battery

Jack wrote:

I am just not sure what you folks are doing to get "dirty batteries".
Maybe you are off-roaders. Again, I may well be kicked out of the
Manly-man club.. but I just drive my cars and van on city streets.. the
thing doesn't seem to get all that dirty.. and I get how macho it
sounds to say to the wife "Gotta go our and maintain battery in cars
honey.. be back in a few hours" but with modern batteries what exactly
do you do? There is nothing to fill.. or check the level... what
exactly do you guys do.. I suppose you can put a meter across it an
check the voltage.. but what else?

How macho is it to have to push your car out of an intersection?
Especially when she has to steer it while you push. Look at the scowl
on her face.

For maintenance free batteries, keep the top clean. Wash it off, dry
it. Simple. Check where the cables and post connect. If you see the
beginnings of corrosion, remove, clean and reattach.