Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Default Door latch problem

If I understand you correctly, the moving parts work ok when the door is
open but it doesn't latch into the frame correctly. First make sure all
screws are reasonably tight. If they are you might try loosening and moving
the catch in the door frame and retightening it. It may have shifted
slightly. It also may be worn and need to be replaced. Take it to the
store with you if you decide to replace it. Also the weatherstrippping
could be worn out and allowing the door to overclose but it does not sound
like that from your description.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey all:

Not much of a carpenter, but I can follow directions. The front door of
my mom's house has always worked perfectly. But my last two visits, the
darn door will not latch when I pull it shut.

If I really yank and slam it, the Kwikset thing finally sits in the
door frame and holds closed, but, of course, don't want to be doing
this forever.

Forgive my technical terms here, but the metal spring-loaded latch
thing retracts into the door smoothly and pops back out with catching
or other trouble, except for going into the "box-thing" in the door
frame.

The weather hasn't been any different than any other of the dozens of
years here. Anything I should start with....