Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Default When to replace a car battery

Practically all of my driving "misadventures" over the last 60 years were
due to battery failures.

I have not had any problems since I used the following procedu

I thoroughly check anything from tire pressure to drive belts and oil every
3 months or 3000 miles. At that time I also check the battery: I measure the
battery voltage before I start, turn on the headlights for 15 minutes (heavy
battery drain) and then measure the battery voltage again. Voltage should be
the same or a tad less, unless the battery is getting weak.

I also buy only batteries recommended by consumer reports and change them
out every three years. regardless of condition. 25 bucks a year is cheap
insurance against being stranded somewhere in the boonies.

This system has not let me down in the last 20 years.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
I have a 1997 car, that I bought used. II owned the car for 5 years. I
don't know how long the 2nd
car battery (sears) is in place. I recently went on a trip, and my batter
died while car was sitting
in garage for 3 weeks. I charged battery, and it died again, 2 months
later. However, I really don't
use car that much. Maybe 30-60 minutes of driving per week.

How do I know, that the battery is good or bad, since when charged, it
lasted about 2 months of very
light driving.

I have a trickle charger, but am wondering if the battery is bad, and is
time to be replaced. I do
not know how old this battery is.

If the car battery is bad, rather than keep a trickle charger on the
battery, I was hoping that
driving 30-60 minutes a week, is long enough to keep the battery charged.

Can you please provide some input.

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net