Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door latch problem

Hey all:

Not much of a carpenter, but I can follow directions. The front door of
my mom's house has always worked perfectly. But my last two visits, the
darn door will not latch when I pull it shut.

If I really yank and slam it, the Kwikset thing finally sits in the
door frame and holds closed, but, of course, don't want to be doing
this forever.

Forgive my technical terms here, but the metal spring-loaded latch
thing retracts into the door smoothly and pops back out with catching
or other trouble, except for going into the "box-thing" in the door
frame.

The weather hasn't been any different than any other of the dozens of
years here. Anything I should start with....