Posted to alt.electronics
Rich Grise

Default microcontroller flash memory question

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:42:58 -0500, Henry wrote:

In researching different microcontrollers on different sites, one made the
staement that their microcontroller can be re-programmed up to about 1000
times. Sounds like alot at first, but it you are trying 10-20 programs a day
(experiments from a book with your own variations, etc) then that does not
give one more than several months of use until the microcontroller might
need replacing. I have seen this mention of 1000 reprogramings on only one
site. Is this as limit of this specific microcontroller, or are all
microcontrollers like this and simply dont mention it? I understand that
flash memory has a limited number of rewrites. There are articles about how
digital camera flash memory cards can be (re-)used about 10,000 times.
Although some manufactures say that their cards can be re-used one million
times.

I am considering getting the Basic Stamp "board of education" kit. It seems
pretty complete, kit wise, and seems well documented.

Some of these links might help:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ycles+lifetime

Another thing you could do is write your firmware better, so you don't
have to take so many debug cycles. :-)

Have Fun!
Rich