Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

Default Wet sanding polyurethane b/t coats w/ mineral spirits lub

I am about to sand the first coat w/ 220 SC. It looks like good coverage.
It was easier than I thought to control thickness, flow, and globs. It is
great. I am pretty good w/ applying finishes, and polyfilla. Takes some
time to learn. I can be trusted to do it the way it should be done. Of
course it raised the grain, and it has the speckled appearance where it
looks like sand at the bottom of millions of whirlpools. I am not sure how
much MS I would need to effect the advantages, and since it is the inside 5
of drawers I probably won't chance - ok maybe I'll flip it on its side and
try MS. I think I will use three coats of poly. This is the most
protective. Spar, yes not the hardest, allows for movement, stops cracking,
and I have put about 400 ft sq. of it on my picnic table and it gets hard
enough. Not for floors though. Do not use high-gloss to use outdoors. I'll
report back.

w/r/t to final finishing, don't know who posted w/ 600 recommendations, but
I'd like to know more. For now, just specifically about this project. I
know I am going to want to do something! I've got 220, 320 400, 600, 1000,
1500, & 2000 SC papers. And 3M rubbing compound fine. These drawers are
white outside including an extremely accurate chamfer on the inside of the
top where the edge meets the inside of the drawer. Looks awesome. You can
only tell there is a lock joint on half of the sides. However, there are
gaps at the bottom to sides - it is NOT air tight. Most of the insides is.

Do you need to wet sand (as opposed to dry sand) if it is after the final
coat? Would you need to do more - like wax. I've got a messy Johnsons
furniture polish wax that is the colour of buffing wax avail at Lee Valley.
must be nearly the same.