Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Noble

Default Idealarc 300/300 Need Help - Triping Breaker

The issue I need help with is that when i am in tig mode and press on
the foot current controller the circuit breaker trips out. This happen
usually 1 out of 2 or 3 times. Sometimes it will trip out at first
time, sometimes it will not happen until the third time. it will happen

most of the time when I press the controller, disengage and press it
again with in a few seconds.

When in the stick mode it will trip out at about the same frequency
(1/2 - 1/3 times) when first turn on. But once it is on, it will stay
running over the full range of current setting using rod sizes up to
5/32 on plate steel up to 1/2 inch. Controller works in both Stick and
Tig modes.

Welder Data: Build 1984 to Code 8888 pre lincoln electric co per s/n on

welder.

Installation data:
-circuit breaker (new) = 100 amp
- AWG #2 15 feet
-House feed is 200 amp.

Trouble shooting done so far:
Cleaned breaker contacts and buss bar.
retighten wire connections at breaker and welder
Contactor 'contact' appear clean and not burnt or corroded but have not

cleaned yet.

IMHO the issue appears to be related to the contactor engagement
curcuit.

Any additional ideas would be GREATLY appericated.

Sincerely,
Noble