Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How can I prevent vibration of metal structure in wind?

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
|Englishman in Adana (Turkey) wrote:
| The flat we live in has a wide balcony surrounded by vertical metal
| bars topped by a larger diameter round rail.

| The vertical bars are approx. 1cm diameter and 1m long (didn't measure
| - guestimated) and spaced about 10 cm from each other. When the wind
| blows (which seems to be continuous as we are on the coast) the
| vertical bars get into rythm and make quite an impressive noise.

| Can anyone suggest a method to stop this?

This is called resonance, which is quite a problem to get rid of.

The power line people solved this easily ages ago, with the dampers
shown on the left of here :

http://www.power-technology.com/cont...sco/image2.jpg

Can't you make a suspended weight to a similar design ?

Do not put things in the middle, that would merely double the frequency,
1/3 of the way down would triple the frequency.

Hmm. This would change the pitch granted, but they would be better
supported, lessening the possibility of resonance.

Cheers

Paul.