pyotr filipivich

Default Cllean that barrel out with murcury? was Brass drill bit (for lead)

And lo, it came about, that on Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:29:51 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking , Gunner was inspired to utter:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:09:40 +0100, Alaric B Snell
wrote:

Hello,

I've had passed to me a pellet gun with a barrel of some metal or other
(presumably a steel 'coz it's grey and considering what it's being used
for). The barrel is a tube, and at the back, the breech block screws in.
The whole thing is on a spring; you pull back the spring, unscrew
breech, insert pellet, screw in breech, release spring, pow.

If the barrel is indeed steel, Simply put a bit of rag at the ass end,
and pour a bit of mercury down the barrel. It will sublimate the lead
out in short order. Tipping the barrel forwards and backwards with
both ends so plugged with do the job.

Question from the peanut gallery: would this be a Good Idea to do when you
get a "new" gun which is 'way old". Like say, a 1943 manufacture Army rifle
sold surplus? I'm thinking in terms of "It couldn't hurt" more than anything
else.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"In this day and age, what used to go without saying because it was