Posted to alt.math,sci.math,sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

Default Omndiagonal Serialization and Monitor Design

In article . com,
wrote:

Thank you, Tim.

Indeed, the electrostatically-deflected CRTs associated with electron
microscopy offer a promising market for such complex deflection
geometries. I will see what I can do with the Windows Media Player SDK
on the one hand, and the Tek scope on the other.

I think that the difference between electrostatically-deflected and
electromagnetically-deflected CRTs is the difference between C and L,
simply put. We have ways of generating high potentials accurately, but
current foldback is less available. Thus, as you wrote,
magnetically-deflected CRT monitors usually sweep the same way each
time. This is more a characteristic of the driving circuitry than the
CRT itself, in my opinion.

Not entirely. The inductance of the deflection coils is significant,
and prevents fine modulation of the position of the electron beam fast
enough to matter.

Joe Gwinn