Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default How can I prevent vibration of metal structure in wind?

Donwill wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
Kate wrote:
Englishman in Adana (Turkey) wrote:

The wind doesn't have to be very strong to start the vibration, I
guess the frequency is around 40-60Hz (compared to mains hum on a
radio).

Speed of sound in air is circa 1100 fps, so at 50 Hz) the wavelength
is 22 ft.

Is there *any* dimension on the bars that is near *any* fraction of
22, that is 22, 11, 5.5, 2.75 ft? I'm thinking possibly of the
horizontal bar that tops the smaller, vertical ones, being the
culprit?

I tried holding the bars sometimes, but holding the one making a
noise makes another start!! and it's difficult to determine which
is the culprit.

I'm beginning to think that the vertical bars might not have much to
do with it. The long, horizontal bar seems much more like the
culprit. Are the ends sealed with no air access whatsoever?

Is you're life complicated?

What has that got to do with it? she is doing a damn good job of
solving the prob.
p.s whats "fps"?

Come on Benjamin, where have you been?
fps = feet per second
Donwill

Its all very well working out the speed of sound and distance measurement,
but he needs a practical solution to stop the resonating.

A bit like an mathematician who complained of having constipation.
Someone said he should work it out with a pencil.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite