Posted to alt.home.repair

Default saw something really unsafe yesterday:(

On 16 Feb 2006 07:48:24 -0800, "Harry K"

On 15 Feb 2006 09:37:41 -0800, wrote:

I've seen packaging on at least some saying they should only be used
pointed up. But then I've got one of these in my garage ceiling
fixture. I think they should provide more info. Like maybe it's only
an issue in an enclosed fixture because of heating?

I never saw that, but I cant say I read all that stuff either.
However if they were meant to be used with the glass side pointed up,
there are few places they could be used. I have them in all of my
garage fixtures, just the common porcelain fixtures. I have one on my
hall light, pointed down and enclosed in glass. The funny thing is I
had two in my bathroom with the glass pointed up (the only fixtures I
have where the bulb points up. Those kept burning out, so I put
standard bulbs back in there. Could the OP have it reversed?

Mark

I haven't checked it but don't CFs burn cooler than a standard light?
Seems they should be useable in any fixture that takes a regular bulb.

Harry K

Yes, much cooler. Thats why they use less power. Most of the power
from a standard bulb is lost in heat. I agree that the CFs should be
able to replace all bulbs. I guess the only question is whether
having them in enclosed fixtures cause their own electronics, in the
base of the bolb, to overheat.