Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Max Mahanke

Default Dremel (rotary tool) for righthanders?

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
news
John Doe wrote:

Is there some reason why a rotary tool spins so that dust/shavings
are sprayed back towards a right-handed user?

Or maybe I'm using it wrong? Seems that either I need to use the
cutting tool with my left hand or to put the project on the right
side of my right hand.

Thank you.

Maybe because 90% of humans are right handed (dexterous) and most of the
remainder are left handed (sinister).

Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.

Somewhere there's probably a reason why drills and threads are mainly
right handed, my WAG is that came about because it's usually easier to
apply a clockwise twisting force with your right hand than it is to
apply a counterclockwise one (at least for me it is.) *

So, if most drill bits have to rotate clockwise viewed from their tail
ends, it makes sense to make the Dremel spin that way.

I've never seen a reversable Dremel, but it wouldn't take rocket science
to add a DPDT switch reversing switch in the two motor brush leads so it
spins either way.

Rigged like that you could spin cutting disks, diamond burrs and stones
the "other way", but if it's toothed burrs you're using, they gotta go
clockwise.

HTH,

Jeff

* So how come screw top containers don't use left hand threads? It's
usually harder to open them than to close them, and I'm pretty sure
being right handed that I could twist 'em clockwise harder than
counterclockwise. The only left handed opening threaded cap I've
encountered is the one on the storage can for my Curta Calculator, and
I'm pretty sure that was done deliberately to prevent inadvertently
turning the crank clockwise when closing it. [Or maybe some diemaker in
Lichenstein screwed up and they didn't realize it until they'd made
10,000 cans. ]

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)