Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default Bridgeport tooling - MT3 v R-8

According to SteveF :

"SteveF" wrote in message
. ..

[ ... ]

I've got an old, very well used, BP that I was going to rebuild but had a
chance to score a lightly used BP J-head Series 1 so now I've got two.
The one I just bought is set up for MT3 tooling.

[ ... ]

Correction - The machine has a Fast Change 30 which is an NMTB 30 without
the drawbar.

Aha! This makes more sense with the Series-I machine.

You'll need to find the 30 NMTB end mill holders, and collet
holders, but those should be excellent for your work. I would not
bother changing to an R8 spindle. Among other things, if you eventually
convert the machine to CNC, the quick-change tools with preset tool
offsets per tool will make the CNC a lot easier to live with.

You can find them on eBay. You can buy one or two *new* from
someplace like MSC, to get yourself started -- say a 1/2" end mill
holder and a 3/8" end mill holder, and then look for the others on eBay,
or at used tool dealers, if you have any near where you live.

I can even use my 30 taper tooling in my Nichols horizontal mill
(40 taper spindle), with an adaptor sleeve from 30 taper to 40 taper,
and a homemade drawbar to fit the different thread.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564