Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Default OT Handyman Advertising

Owain wrote:
Chris Cowley wrote:
Thompson & Yellow Pages -

I wouldn't bother with either of these myself. They may have been the
advertising medium of choice up-until the mid-1990s for the sort of
service you provide, but I would personally use Google ahead of either
of these methods. As you have a website, maybe you should try buying
some clicks from Google?

I agree, and AIUI you only get charged on click-throughs

This is dangerous territory unless you really know what you're doing.
I'm not saying you can't learn - you can, but it takes time.

Adwords can work very well, but generally you need a reasonable budget,
and you need to target your search terms very carefully. I'll illustrate
this with an example.

Let's take "handyman" as a search term, and limit our audience to the UK
only. You're looking to pay roughly 60p per click, and you'll get an
estimated 10 clicks/day. That's a £6/day payout. However - these are
clicks from *all over* the UK, most of which is outside your coverage
area. This means a significant proportion of your payout would be paying
for clicks from people who you can't sell to in the first place.

There are very few situations where highly localised services can make
good use of adwords. The main exception is big cities (especially
London), where you have a huge population in a small area.

--
Grunff