Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh

Default OT Handyman Advertising

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi All

I'm now at the stage where I need to start heavily advertising my new
handyman business.

So far it's been mainly pay out; vehicle, vehicle insurance & tax,
corporate clothing, business cards. PL Insurance etc. On a positive note
I've also earned a few quid, so not too bad.

The choices I see so far are;

Thompson & Yellow Pages - want loads of dosh & you always appear alongside
your competitors. Only catches people who already realise that handymen
exist and are looking for one. Thompson don't have a 'Handyman' category
anyway, only 'Property Maintenance'. I'm not sure the public would think
of looking there.

Leaflet drops. Expensive to arrange for individual leaflets. Much
cheaper as an insert with the local free paper, but less effective.

Local paper advertising. Not yet finalised the costs.

Leaflets under windscreen wipers in shed carparks.

Foamboard posters on traffic light posts.

Parish magazines.

So, where would you look for a handyman if you needed one? What would
influence you?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

The one and only time I have ever used anyone who leafleted my house was
when the leaflet said "we are working today at No xx in your road". That
allowed me to call on the relevant neighbour, who gave the contractor a very
good reference, and I went on to use them successfully myself. But that was
for a roofer to do a job I just had not been able to find anyone to do.
Normally I associate leaflets with desperation. It has to be word of mouth.
To get over the catch 22 element of this, I would suggest that your
advertising (by whatever method) offers to put people in touch with
satisfied customers. Obviously requires some of the latter first - not to
mention their agreement to take phone calls - but sounds like you have some
already, just not enough.

As for newspapers etc: I agree with others - web only.