Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Default saw something really unsafe yesterday:(

Goedjn wrote:

Oh ****..... My hall light is totally enclosed. I better go see if the
hall is on fire. Be right back....... (unless there is a fire).
Suppose I should drill a few holes in the base. I have done that on
standard bulb fixtures to prevent burning up the wires. It helps and
a few 1/4" holes are not noticable.

I strongly suspect that that only means that they'll cook themselves
to non-functional in an enclosed fixture. Starting fires
makes it harder to get a UL certification, and irritates the
company lawyers.

I have two installed outside in base up fixtures for years, no problems
yet. One is on a photocell & one is on a switch. I use them in
crawlspace base up fixtures all the time.

Stretch