Posted to alt.home.repair
nj_dilettante

Default Followup - Painting Kit. Cabs. - need suggestion

Ken wrote:
Today I purchased a Graco XR7 airless sprayer for about $450. Decided not
to get a bottom-of-the-line unit since I'll be using it a
lot over the next 2 years.

The paint salesman said that a good quality Latex paint, mixed with
Floetrol should give a good finish when applied with the airless
sprayer. I am somewhat dubious about that - I always considered
latex to be a cheap imitation of "real" paint (oil based). But based
on his recommendations I'll go ahead with latex. I'll start the
process and post the results
Another thing I learned is that oil based paint is getting pretty
hard to find. Lowes had just a couple of cans. I wanted a very
bright white for the cabinets rather than just a plain white. That
also helped me decide to go ahead with latex. Also, nowadays all the
oil based paint is labeled that it is to be used only over metal
substrate and only for commercial applications. The paint guy said
it's the same oil-based paint they always sold, they just label it
that way for legal reasons - to discourage homeowners from using it
because they usually don't dispose of waste products proberly.

Ken.
"Ken" wrote in message
I'm about to paint my kitchen cabinets. Actually I did it once a
number of years ago. They were finished with varnish or
polyurethane (not sure which). I sanded, etched, and sprayed them
with Zinsser, then with an oil based enamel. They didn't turn out
particularly well or bad for that matter.

So anyway I need to re-do them and I'd like to do a better job than
before. Last time I bought a $100 Wagner airless sprayer.

So this time around I want suggestions. What material and what
equipment. Thanks
Ken

The formulation of oil paint has changed so much because of environmental
issues that it just isn't the product it was years ago. But conversely,
latex/acrylic paints have also changed, and are now much more like the old
oil-based paints. That's why you don't see oil-based paints around much
anymore.

--
nj_dilettante
in the words of the immortal Sgt Schultz: