Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Default Followup - Painting Kit. Cabs. - need suggestion

Today I purchased a Graco XR7 airless sprayer for about $450. Decided not
to get a bottom-of-the-line unit since I'll be using it a lot over the next
2 years.

The paint salesman said that a good quality Latex paint, mixed with Floetrol
should give a good finish when applied with the airless sprayer. I am
somewhat dubious about that - I always considered latex to be a cheap
imitation of "real" paint (oil based). But based on his recommendations
I'll go ahead with latex. I'll start the process and post the results

Another thing I learned is that oil based paint is getting pretty hard to
find. Lowes had just a couple of cans. I wanted a very bright white for
the cabinets rather than just a plain white. That also helped me decide to
go ahead with latex. Also, nowadays all the oil based paint is labeled that
it is to be used only over metal substrate and only for commercial
applications. The paint guy said it's the same oil-based paint they always
sold, they just label it that way for legal reasons - to discourage
homeowners from using it because they usually don't dispose of waste
products proberly.

Ken.
"Ken" wrote in message
I'm about to paint my kitchen cabinets. Actually I did it once a number
of years ago. They were finished with varnish or polyurethane (not sure
which). I sanded, etched, and sprayed them with Zinsser, then with an oil
based enamel. They didn't turn out particularly well or bad for that
matter.

So anyway I need to re-do them and I'd like to do a better job than
before. Last time I bought a $100 Wagner airless sprayer.

So this time around I want suggestions. What material and what equipment.

Thanks
Ken