Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron

Default ShopVac as a DC unit

Just a quick follow-up to a recent thread on the same topic...

I was taking advantage of the spring like break in the weather here in
western PA (61 outside at 7:00PM)
to plane some boards and clean the garage / workshop, before winter returns
tonight.

I have a 5hp 12gal Ridgid shopvac attached to a Delta 13" planer, with a
dust separator between the two.

I just emptied a nearly full 30 gal trash can of planer shaving, being used
with the dust separator.

The shop vac barely had anything in it.
There was some pretty fine dust caked around the filter though, but not too
much.

My set-up..
I run the shopvac 2.5" hose to an adapter (2.5 - 4") and attach it to one
side of the dust separator lid.
I run a 4" hose from the other side of the DS lid to the planer.

Simple but Noisy. Ear protection a must. The shop vac is probably louder
than the planer.

But it does work and collects probably 80-90% of the shavings from the
planer.
Some does blow out the front, especially on thinner (width wise) boards.

A read DC unit will definetly be my next major tool purchase, leaning
towards the PSI units although
the local Rocklers has just lowered the prices on several Jet models..

HTH,

Ron