Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Strickland

Default Heat Pump vs aux propane heat

On 15 Feb 2006 09:23:36 -0800, Brian Attwood wrote:

I almost feel like I am using too little gas with my heat pump. I live
in NC and have used a whopping 6 cf this year, since the gas backup on
the downstairs heat pump is the only gas appliance. With the base
charges it works out to about $11/cf Don't know why they only
installed gas on first floor and no gas water heater or stove when they
built the place, although I guess it was the cheapest way for the
builder to be able to claim "gas heat".

I have similar situation - the furnace is the only gas (propane) appliance. I
did that because I wanted a gas furnace, but the local EMC gave me a $1000
rebate, a free underground drop of 700 ft w/transformer by house, and a free
50 gal Marathon water heater (lists as $693.50 at Granger) for going total
electric (dual fuel counts as total electric for their purposes). Maybe the
builder got a similar package. Since the only gas appliance I really wanted
was the furnace, I got my cake and ate it too :-)

Later, Mike
(substitute strickland in the obvious location to reply directly)

Please send all email as text - HTML is too hard to decipher as text.