Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Moore

Default What do you need to check for when buying a used DC motor with speed control

Looks like your getting a shunt wound motor because of the field rating on
the motor. Not a minus, at all. Rust might not be a problem if the motor
is free and bearings feel smooth and tight. You might need a heat sink for
the controller (I'm not familiar with that one). IF the price is
right........ As long as there are no apparent "smoke holes" on the
controller, you really won't know until you hook it up and run it.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"Alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am buying a used DC motor with speed control. It's rusted and looks
like it was heavily used. What should I check for to make sure it works
properly?

Speed control is
Speed-a-matic PN2400-8000
(1/4 to 1HP for 115VAC and 1/2 to 2 HP for 230 VAC )
Input 14.5 A max Outpt 10 A max

Motor Baldor# CD3475,
3/4 HP,
volts 90A/100/50F,