Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike the Unshavable

Default Electrical regs question - adding a socket to a fused spur.

"Steve S" writed in news:_A7If.19775$wl.5107
@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

"jim_in_sussex" wrote:

doubt very much that a 13A socket complies with regs for at least 2
reasons (1) circuit load - a 13A socket is normally assumed to require
a 20A spur or 32A ring that + your heating load & your circuit is
overloaded (2) under diversity you can't average down a heating load.

One option is to consider using 2 amp unswitched round pin sockets -

eg
see www.tlc-direct.co.uk - stock item no MK K770. You'd need to feed
this through a 2A fused spur, but that might keep you within your
circuit maximum load & prevent any future misuse of the socket. You'd
have to find an adapter to go 13A to 2A or change the plug on your
router.

Even so it doesn't feel entirely satisfactory & personally I'd look
hard to see if it really couldn't be hooked into a 'proper' 32A ring.

A 13A - 2A adapter sounds horrible. Looks like I'll have to find a
different solution.

Or a Europlug / Schuko socket perhaps, difficult to source in the UK,
plugs are easier to find though, ussuly on the end of a '8' plug for a
low power appliance.