Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

Default OT - Tim Daneluk

On 2/15/2006 10:24 AM Tim Daneliuk mumbled something about the following:
Joe Barta wrote:

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

If our dysfunctional education system (which more-or-less-fails
the impoverished anyway) still manages to make us a successful
culture, imagine what a *Better* (not perfect) system could do.

Let me ask you further, what would you hope to achieve by
implementing a "better" system? What is better? How would we know
it was better? What are the benefits of better?

Joe Barta

"Better" is one whe

1) Parents are expected to care for their own children.

Getting rid of public schools won't change this.

2) Parents are more directly involved with the content and quality of
their childrens' education.

Getting rid of public schools won't change this. If they're not
interested in their education now, having no public schools won't make
them interested.

3) The knowledge base, analytical skills, and self-learning habits of
the students are increased (compared to today).

How do you get an increased knowledge base when the only information
they have is coming from their parents, who may be uneducated themselves?

4) Teachers are compensated according to ability and their work
product not treated like hourly factory workers. Good teachers
prosper bad ones get fired.

If there are no schools, who's going to pay the teachers (parents).

5) Schools have the ability to maintain an environment of learning
not be a dumping ground for parents to abdicate their own
responsibilities.

What schools? You're getting rid of public schools.

6) Government presence in the private lives of its citizens is
reduced.

Govt presence in private lives is all over the place, and VERY little
involvement is through schools.

7) Wealth redistribution at the point of the government's gun is
reduced.

Let's see, when I was poor, I didn't get any rich kids money because I
was going to public school. We both got the same education so that I
had the same chance as he did to make it in life. Funny how I'm
successful today and that rich kid I went to school with never made it
past high school and is still living off his parents. Had it not been
for public schools, there's no telling where I would have ended up,
probably in jail for being a drug dealer or a thief because I couldn't
get a job. As for private schools when I was growing up. The only one
that existed near me existed strictly for the sole reason of not having
any blacks in the school. They were taught from the same books as the
public school, they had misfits in the classroom, just like the public
schools. They would take anyone's money as long as they were white,
didn't matter if the student was a good student or a bad. No one was
ever thrown out of that school for bad behavior.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net