Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Daniel A. Mitchell

Default Chromed Ways: How Important? (how to tell?)

Max Krippler wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 23:28:42 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

I just measured the ceiling space in the basement, and unless my wife
can put up with having TWO islands in the kitchen, I can't fit it in
there. This is killing me, but I guess I'll have to settle for
something less-- like a mill/drill.

I'm sure that beauty will go to some deserving soul... Oh well...
-

I've finally found a really sharp Bridgeport Mill in Los Angeles (it
seems like most of them are in the midwest or back east) and I was
wondering how to tell if it has the "chrome ways" that seemed to be a
desireable option?

This thing comes with so many options (3axis DRO, 3axis powerfeeds,
pneumatic drawbar, Kurt vice, micro-drop lube spray, etc, etc.) that
I'm tempted to get it anyway, but the family selling it didn't know if
Dad bought the "chromed ways" option. How important is it to get the
chrome ways on a Bridgeport? I drove out there to see it and the
machine is in perfect shape and has almost zero backlash, but if you
guys can educate me about the 'chrome' I would love to hear about it.

Maybe you can tell by seeing the pictures? Here is the eBay ad
listing number: 7590917948

Sure looks Chromed to me. If not, it shows no signs of wear, at least
on the exposed Y ways in the photo. But, the bright color sure looks
like chrome. Note that the way surfaces that face the chromed way
is NOT chromed, but bare cast iron. That probably creates a lower
wear combination.

Jon

Rather than a Mill-Drill consider any of the better grades of "A1S"
imported knee mills (both bench and floor models) or the slightly
smaller Clausing Mills. These are a lot like a mini-bridgeport, perhaps
2/3 the size. They're certainly NOT a BP, but if you don't have room for
a BP they're a good alternative, and more capable than most Mill-drills.

I have a BP at work, and a KBC "A1S" in my basement. For it's size,
weight, and cost, I am quite satisfied with the KBC.

Dan Mitchell