Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

Default Refrigerator Compressor Failure?

On 15 Feb 2006 20:11:02 -0800, "mjb920" wrote:

Christopher, either comfortable with electricity or stupid. There is a
capacitor shown on the wiring diagram for the fridge. Looking back, if
the capacitor is working correctly, shouldn't I have gotten a shock
when disconnecting the relay?

No.

Besides:

Many fridges either have no external start /run cap, or it is
internal (built into the compressor).

I have seen external caps on older fridges, but they are becoming
less and less common.

A lot of old GE and AMANA built (not branded) boxes had them.

If your model has an external capacitor, just replace it.
It's only a few bucks.
But then again, a hard start kit is only about $25., max.

Why attack Chris? That's the REAL shocker!

BTW: No, the capacitor passes AC, and you will not necessarily get
a shock, or even an arc, upon disconnection, ESPECIALLY IF THE
CAPACITOR IS BAD! You COULD have some residual charge in the cap, but
it's unpredictable, and flaky, at best.

Give us a break, dude!

I've been repairing appliances for decades.

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've not seen a refrig with a compressor start cap. At least not original
equipment. You can try a Supco boost kit, or try to find a repair guy who
has em and can install em.

Since you've already done the relay, you're obviously comfortable with
electricity. I did a quick Froogle search, and didn't find the one I use.
Ah, well.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"mjb920" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an 11-year old Amana refrigerator that has stopped cooling. The
evaporator fan runs but not the compressor. I replaced the compressor
relay but that made no difference. When I plug in the fridge the relay
makes a clicking sound, like it's trying to start up. Is there
anything else I can check, like the start capacitor, or is the
compressor shot?

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info