Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Motor Wiring Help Please!

James,

I bought a Neptune washer model MAH5500BWW in 2001. It has been working
until this Monday. The motor does not spin at all. BTW, I totally
missed out on the class action lawsuit since I hadn't had any problems
with the washer. An of course, I don't have the warranty anymore.

So I opened the main control board cover and found a wiring diagram and
some diagnostic test instructions. I ran the test and traced it down to
the motor control board (located at the lower right bottom from the
front panel), and a 10Amp fuse was blown. The instructions states that
"If the motor does not run: Check the 10 amp fuse located on the
control board, either visually or with an ohm meter. If bad, replace
motor control/wire harness assembly completely." I checked the maytag
website and the part costs $174.99 + tax + shipping. After reading all
the problems with the neptune washer on the net, I am not sure if I
want to reinvest about $200 on this thing, which may fail with other
problems sooner or later.

With my understanding in electricals, a fuse is supposed to the protect
the circuitry. So why in the world do you need to replace the entire
assembly if just the fuse is blown. I went to the radio shack and
bought a 10 amp fuse, soldered it in, ran the test again, same failure.

With your experience in fixing a neptune, can you shed some light or
give me any suggestions. I'd be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
PB