Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Chromed Ways: How Important? (how to tell?)

I dunno--does anyone on amc know how to use a BP??

You will get add'l feedback on rec.crafts.metalworking.

My non-expert 2c:
On really clean machines, I have mistaken non-chrome ways for chrome. A
more practiced eye proly wouldn't get confused, but the "scalloped" look of
the ways is similar on both. Mebbe a scratch test? Chrome is really hard,
and shiny-er.
Maybe check out machines locally, chrome and non-chrome, to get a visual
feel for the diff.

BP should be able to tell you from the serial #. They (Hardinge now, I
think) are pretty helpful. Will tell you the year of your machine, as well.

How important? Pretty important for production use, less so for hobbyist
use.

But with a machine set up like you describe, sheeeit, it's a
no-brainer--take it!! Depending on price, of course.
Might it be possible to chrome them ad hoc?

Post back w/ the winning bid!
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Max Krippler" wrote in message
I know this is off topic, but you guys might be the ones who know
this:

I've finally found a really sharp Bridgeport Mill in Los Angeles (it
seems like most of them are in the midwest or back east) and I was
wondering how to tell if it has the "chrome ways" that seemed to be a
desireable option?

This thing comes with so many options (3axis DRO, 3axis powerfeeds,
pneumatic drawbar, Kurt vice, micro-drop lube spray, etc, etc.) that
I'm tempted to get it anyway, but the family selling it didn't know if
Dad bought the "chromed ways" option. How important is it to get the
chrome ways on a Bridgeport? I drove out there to see it and the
machine is in perfect shape and has almost zero backlash, but if you
guys can educate me about the 'chrome' I would love to hear about it.

Maybe you can tell by seeing the pictures? Here is the eBay ad
listing number: 7590917948

Thanks for any info you can give me...

--Max