Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.engineering.electrical
Graham W

Default Repairing a TV remote control - new LED

Zak wrote:
Apart from cleaning my TV remote control (see other thread) I
would like to put in a more powerful infrared LED

The remote control is about 10 to 15 years old. The spec is
below. Note that I am in the UK.

I would guess I can get an LED nowadays which draws the same power
as the orignal LED but with a noticeably better light output.

possible - but...

Q. What is the spec of the infrared LED I need to get? Here is
one LED I came across. Is it ok? http://tinyurl.com/d3qcp
And here is a list of half a dozen other infrared diodes which I
can get relatively easily: http://tinyurl.com/8heeq

Q. Maybe I can put in a LED which actually draws a bit more power
than the original one?

Q. Is the way to do it to put two LEDS in parallel?

COuld anyone kindly advise me. Thanks.

The most problematic case is where the handset uses two cells
in series and you try to use Nicads which only provide 1.2Volts
each instead of 1.5volts. This leaves the circuit short of voltage
and the only solution is to use Alkalines to give the circuits their
correct supply.

You can assess the brightness of the LED by observing it in the
LCD viewfinder of a digital camera.

HTH
-------------- SPEC OF REMOTE CONTROL ------------

UK Sony television.

Remote control model is:
Sony RM-657
3 volts
Is original remote control

On circut board it says:
1-598-168-12
1-623-978-12
RC

RCW
K PEI 208 02
K PEI 207 02.

Single chip on circuit board:
BU3870F
033 079

For Sony TV model:
KV-M19TU
BE-1 chassis

Remote control Sony RM-694 also works on this TV
but is not the original one.