Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

Default OT - My best friend is gone...

Sorry for your loss Greg. I just had to put my cat down - had him since he
was 6 weeks old - he was 21 - which is very old for a cat. It talking to the
vet, he mentioned that animals can develop mental issues as they age, much
as we humans do. Sounds like your pal was doing that also. I am 69 and even
with all the times that I've lost a pet, it does not get any easier. Cried
like a baby. Fortunately, have two more cats that occupy my time. Had a dog
also be he passed several years ago and I'm just not up to introducing a new
dog to two old cats

In a year or two you might want to consider getting a pup for your baby to
grow with.

As someone else said, time will heal the pain.

I expect your pal is chasing my pal all over the heavens and having a ball.

Vic

"Greg D." wrote in message
Well, it was his last day today... My 15 years old dog and workshop
best friend was put to sleep today. We had a baby last year and he
never really accepted his new rank in the family. What made him happy
a few years ago didn't make him budge of an inch today. He started to
bark and show his teeth whenever he didn't appreciate what was going
on around him. He's never done that before and never had any form of
aggressivity. Unfortunately, it's was a very bad mixture with a one
year old baby trying to grab him every minute... An accident waiting
to happen.... The question was not "if it will happen" but more "when
it will happen".

I couldn't recognized him anymore, he became an animal you just feed
everyday but can't really touch anymore. He used to always be in the
same room as us but during the last year he was avoiding us as much as
he could. Not him anymore.

Ah crap... you wish those moments will never happen but they do and
when it happens it hurts like you would never suspect. He's been such
a great pet always there and close by when things weren't going right.
I think memories of all that good time with him hurts me more than
anything else. Fortunately, I have a wonderful son and I'll have many
years of joy sharing all I know with him about woodworking and...
life.

Ô well, I just felt tonight like saying goodbye to a good old friend
and I hope he appreciated his life with me as much as I appreciated
mine with him around.

Goodbye boy and have a good time up there!

Greg D.