Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default sharpening ironworker bar shear

Robin S. wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

If this does work, then I'm going to have to find someone with a bigger
surface grinder than I have, mine's only 12" and the blades are 14" long.

Depending on the blade material, you could weld up the blade where you need
more material and grind it flush with a surface grinder or die grinder. Rod
can be (very) expensive, however.

I'm not sure what these blades are, but they seem pretty hard and also pretty
tough, as they eat mill scale all day.

I have a 3rd blade that came with my (old, very used) ironworker. This blade was
obviously used but the guy never threw it away. I set it up on the diagonal of
my 6x12" chuck and I've been taking passes on it. There were some heavy wear
spots about 5" long and I've got that spot down to about 1/16" but it seems sort
of deepish and I don't know if I have the willingness to grind off another .010
just to see pretty all the way across. I haven't even tried grinding the face
(the 2x14" side), I've been working on the top (the 1/2x14" side).

As Harold says, tool steel sure grinds a lot better than mild. Also, I have
found to my amazement that my little K.O. Lee 6x12 grinder can indeed take a cut
..002" deep if I limit it to .025" feeds.

GWE