Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Question About Homeowners Insurance

JerryL wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it cheaper to insure a home built in 1984 or 1993?

The reason I ask is, my home was built in '84 but my policy says it was

built in '93.

There is a discount for "age of dwelling". Is this discount because the

home is considered a newer home (1993) or is this discount because it's

considered an older home (1993)?

Will my insurance be less if I call and correct the problem?

I need all the help I can get, I'm in Florida and they have just
DOUBLED the premium AND the deductible even though I have never had a
claim.

In Florida (I live in Boynton Beach) they are only interested if the house
was built after 1994. That's the year the new hurricane codes kicked in such
as hurricane shutters, roof straps, etc. What insurance company are you
with?

I'm currently (until next month) with a company called ASI, which was
written thru Florida Chartered Ins Group Inc, but they're "limiting
their catastrophe coverage" so I've been shopping around.

I was paying $475 a yr with a regular deductible of $500 and the
hurricane deductible was also $500. So far I've got quotes from $1200
to $724 a yr all with $1000 deductibles and a 2% hurricane deductible.

Yesterday I received a letter from Fl Chartered Ins Group Inc offering
me insurance from a company called St. Johns.

The premium will be $640, with deductibles of $1000 and 2% . This is
the company that has my house listed as being built in '93.

Considering all of the other quotes that I've got so far, I'm pretty
sure I'm going with them. That's why I was wondering about the yr that
was listed. But, what you say about the building codes makes perfect
sense, so apparently it won't make any difference.

I'm in Orlando and the only houses that were damaged in my area in
2004, were from big oak trees falling over and that wasn't many. The
hurricanes that came thru my area were down to a Cat 1 by time they got
here.

Still, these friggin insurance companies are either puling out from
this area, aren't writing new policies, or as seen above, charging ppl
out the ass for coverage.

They make money for YRS and then when they have a couple of bad ones,
it's goodbye. Even in an area that didn't have that much damage.

I own 3 cars of which only 1 was in the garage and they didn't even get
any damage!