Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Oil Tank lifespan?

"Mys Terry" wrote in message
news
I have often heard that home heating oil tanks need to be replaced at
a certain age. What I can't figure out is why an indoor tank would
ever need replacement. I can understand an outdoor or buried tank
rusting. I could even imagine condensation in an indoor tank causing
some rust over time, but wouldn't that rust be towards the top? What's
the TRUTH, and why.

This has come up before and some seem to think 25 years is the limit. I
personally know of many tanks that are 50+ years old and never leaked. They
are the original tanks for houses build back in the 1930's, 40's' etc. One
is an outside tank exposed to the elements, but has a coat of paint on it.
There are some environmental factors that may cause leaking, but overall,
they should last for longer than us.